Dental adhesive: everything you need to know
Many people face challenges keeping their dentures in place. This is where dental adhesive comes in. This product offers an effective solution to improve denture adhesion and prevent uncomfortable problems such as slippage or irritation. So, if you’re looking for a solution to keep your dentures in place and enjoy a confident smile, keep reading this article.
What is dental adhesive?
Dental adhesive is a product to help secure dentures, such as dentures, bridges or even crowns. It is usually in the form of a powder or cream, and is formulated with ingredients that are safe for oral use. When properly applied, dental adhesive creates a bond between the denture and the gums, providing greater stability.
The main purpose of dental adhesive is to improve the bonding of dentures. This means that dentures will stay in place more effectively, reducing the chance of them slipping or moving uncomfortably. However, a good dental adhesive, in addition to this function, can also help prevent irritation and chafing that can occur when dentures move. By keeping dentures firmly in place, the likelihood of painful chafing is reduced.
Types of dental adhesives
There are several types of dental adhesives available on the market, each with its own characteristics and advantages:
Cream dental adhesive
Cream dental adhesives are popular due to their ease of application. They are applied to the denture in small amounts. They are ideal for those looking for a strong, long-lasting bond.
Dental adhesive powder
These are applied in a similar way to the above, but powdered dental adhesives must be wetted onto the denture before sprinkling the powder onto it. It mixes with the moisture to form an adhesive paste.
Dental adhesive pads
These pre-dosed pads are convenient and easy to use. They come in the form of thin strips that are placed directly on the dentures. They are ideal for quick and discreet bonding.
How to use dental adhesive correctly
Using the adhesive properly is essential for the best results, so we recommend the following steps:
- Cleaning: make sure your dentures are thoroughly cleaned before applying the adhesive.
- Quantity: use the amount recommended by the manufacturer of each adhesive, it is not necessary to overdo it.
- Distribution: apply the dental adhesive in lines or dots, avoiding the edges of the denture.
- Fit: place the dentures in place and bite down gently to secure them properly.
- Rinsing: after effective use, remove the dental adhesive with lukewarm water and clean your dentures again.
In conclusion, adhesive is a valuable tool for those looking to improve the bonding and stability of their dentures. Whether you wear dentures, bridges or crowns, these adhesives can make a difference in your daily comfort and confidence. By understanding what a dental adhesive is, what it’s for and the different types available, you’re better prepared to make informed decisions about your dental care.
Frequently asked questions about dental adhesive
- Are dental adhesives safe to use? Yes, adhesives are formulated to be safe in the mouth. However, please follow the instructions for use.
- Can I eat any food with adhesive dentures? Yes, using a proper adhesive will allow you to enjoy a wider variety of foods.
- Are dental adhesives difficult to use? No, dental adhesives are usually easy to apply following proper instructions.
- Can I use dental adhesives with dental bridges? Absolutely, dental adhesives are also beneficial for fixing dental bridges in place.
- Do I need to visit the dentist after I start using dental adhesives? It is advisable to schedule regular dental visits to make sure your dentures are in good condition.